- Pre-workout snacks are important for being able to maintain your energy levels and body through your workout
- The ideal snack should have a mix of complex carbohydrates, protein and fats
- The best pre-workout snacks are the ones that are quick and simple so they don’t take time from working out
If you’re trying to hit a personal best, catch an intense workout, or sustain through a long run – the key to carrying you through is energy!
Regardless of what you do – whether it be powerlifting, bodybuilding, sports, yoga, or CrossFit, adequate nutrition is essential to see results.
Always remember – these snacks can be consumed anywhere from two hours to 30 minutes before exercise.
What makes a good pre-workout snack?
The ideal pre-workout snack should have a mix of complex carbohydrates, protein, and fat – aka macronutrients! This will keep your energy levels high while supporting your body through a workout.
During exercise, your muscles use the glucose from carbs as fuel – making them a great choice for short and high-intensity workouts. Now, if you’re choosing between simple and complex carbs – we recommend reaching for a complex carb. Complex carbs digest more slowly in your body – sustaining your energy throughout your workout.
Fats provide the most benefit if you’re looking to fuel a longer workout or lower intensity – and protein helps increase muscle performance, prevent muscle damage, and improve muscle recovery.
Besides having complex carbs, fat, and protein – a good pre-workout snack should also be simple and easy to make. Because let’s be honest – no one wants to spend hours making a snack when that time can be used in the gym, on the mat, or hitting the pavement!
With all of that in mind, here are 5 vegan and paleo pre-workout snacks you have to try – each packed with macronutrients for peak performance throughout your workout.
1. Dates and Nut Butter
Look no further – this pre-workout snack requires zero cooking, little effort to put together, and tastes amazing. This small but mighty snack will be sure to power you through your next workout.
Because dates contain natural sugars, they don’t spike your blood sugar like a protein bar with added sugar. Rather, they contain slow-releasing carbs which promote a steady stream of energy for your workout. Paired with the healthy fats and protein found in nut butter – it’s a winning combination.
- 4 Medjool Dates (soaked and pitted)
- 1 Oz your choice of nomz nut butter
- Drizzle 1 oz of nomz nut butter on top of 4 pitted and soaked Medjool dates
- That's all – enjoy!!
2. nomz Energy Bites
You know them and love them – our nomz energy bites make an incredible pre-workout snack.
They’re nutrient-dense, perfectly balanced, and absolutely delicious!
They come in 4 flavours – hazelnut, coconut, pistachio, and almond – and are perfect when you need something pre-packaged to throw in your gym bag. Just open them – and enjoy!
3. Super Nourish Smoothie
When you have a bit more time for prep, a smoothie is a great way to pack a ton of nutrition into one glass – especially with the addition of nomz daily nourish superfood mix.
Rich in antioxidants, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals – the daily nourish blend is made from absorbable organic ingredients to help increase your energy, boost immunity, ward off diseases, and reduce inflammation. It has 11g of protein, 12g fibre, and both Omega 3 and Omega 6 healthy fats!
- 1 sliced frozen banana
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 pitted and soaked Medjool date
- 1 inch cube of ginger
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup of ice
- 4 tbsp of nomz daily nourish superfood mix
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender
- Blend until smooth
4. The Kobe Special
Not-your-average fruit salad! This special recipe (from the writer) does the job, tastes great, and is easy to make.
The combination of carbohydrates from the fruit, healthy fats from the nomz hazelnut butter, and high quality protein from chia seeds will have you covered for your workout. Plus, this mighty fruit salad is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals like magnesium and iron.
- 1 oz nomz hazelnut butter
- ½ cup of strawberries sliced
- ½ cup blueberries sliced
- 1 sliced apple
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- Optional: Organic honey to taste
- Chop and mix the fruit into a bowl
- Drizzle 1 oz of nomz hazelnut butter on top of the fruit
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top
- Optional: honey for an extra boost of flavour!
5. Sweet Potato Toasts
When you have a bit more time on your hands, sweet potato toasts will not disappoint!
They act as the perfect base for sweet or savoury toppings and are one of the best complex carbs to consume prior to exercise thanks to the high carb, low glycemic index.
- sweet potato
- toppings of your choice – a couple we love are:
- any nomz nut butter + sliced fruit + cinnamon
- smashed avocado + baby tomatoes + crushed pistachios
These toasts can be cooked in a variety of ways – baked in the oven, cooked in an air fryer, and even toasted in a toaster just like bread!
Steps For Oven Baked:
- Note: By keeping on the skin – you get all that good-for-you fibre and it helps the toasts hold up if you pre-cook them and keep them in the fridge.
- Slice the potato lengthwise into ¼ - ½ inch thick slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven, add your toppings, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy these 4 pre-workout snacks! If you make any of them be sure to snap a photo, share social media, and tag us @nomz!
Written By: Kobe Maranan
Kobe has recently joined our team here at Nomz. Kobe is a 3rd year student studying Arts and Business at the University of Waterloo. In his spare time he likes to workout, watch tv shows, and play video games. One of his most favourite hobbies is basketball, as he was named after the legendary Kobe Bryant. His favourite snack is Nomz Hazelnut bites.