Satiating almond butter, sweet medjool dates and pure vanilla extract come together to create a tasty and wholesome snack that is packed with nutrients and so simple to make!
This almond butter date caramel is a perfect complement to a variety of fruits, such as apples, pears, bananas, or berries. The combination of healthy fats and protein from the almond butter, alongside the natural sweetness of medjool dates creates a balanced snack that provides both quick energy and lasting satiety. Paired with apple slices, it truly tastes like the classic caramel sauce that you grew up loving – minus the refined sugar! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, paleo-friendly and suitable for both adults and kiddos.
Building Balanced Snacks for Kids
This is an ideal kid-friendly snack that picky eaters will not be able to resist. Many snacks for kiddos lack lasting satisfaction due to an over-reliance on quick-release carbs like granola bars, crackers, and fruit (without any added protein or fats), which cause rapid spikes and drops in blood sugar.
These carbs lack the necessary fat and protein to maintain stable energy levels. By incorporating a balance of nutrients in your toddler's meals, such as protein and healthy fats, you can keep their blood sugar stable, reduce constant hunger, and differentiate between genuine hunger and emotional or boredom-driven eating. This approach can also promote longer intervals between meals and snacks for both toddlers and older children!
Almond butter - is a true powerhouse when it comes to nutrition. It's a fantastic source of healthy fats, such as monounsaturated fats, which are known to be heart-friendly. Almond butter is also packed with vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from oxidative stress. High in essential minerals like magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are crucial for maintaining strong bones and muscles, almond butter is a nutrient-dense ingredient to add into any snack!
Beyond these micronutrients, almond butter is a great source of plant-based protein, making it an ideal option for vegans and those looking to add more protein to their snacking routine.
Pure Vanilla Extract - beyond the delicious flavour, did you know that pure vanilla extract is also rich in vanillin, a plant compound with antioxidant properties? Always opt for pure vanilla extract when possible.
How to Make Medjool Date Syrup
Before we dive into the almond butter date caramel recipe, let's learn how to make a simple Medjool date syrup. It's incredibly easy and serves as a natural sweetener for our recipe, but can be used as a sweetener for coffee, tea, baking, or other snacks!
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup hot water
- In a bowl, place the pitted Medjool dates.
- Pour warm water over the dates until they are fully submerged.
- Allow the dates to soak for about 30 minutes. This will soften them, making them easier to blend into a syrup.
- Transfer the soaked dates and water into a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until the mixture becomes smooth and syrup-like in consistency.
Your homemade Medjool date syrup is now ready to use! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
More Kid Friendly Snacks
- High Protein Chocolate Fruit Dip
- 10 Superfoods to Fill Nutrient Gaps for Kids
- 5 Healthy After School Snack Ideas
- 4 Brain Boosting Nut Butters for Kids
Almond Butter Date Caramel
Satiating almond butter, sweet medjool dates and pure vanilla extract come together to form a tasty and wholesome snack that is packed with nutrients and so simple to make!
1 cup nomz Organic Almond Butter
- 1/4 cup Medjool date syrup (recipe above)
- 2-4 tablespoons water (adjust as needed for desired consistency)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a mixing bowl, combine nomz Organic Almond Butter and water. Use a handheld mixer on medium speed to blend the almond butter and water together until fully emulsified.
- Mix until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Add more water if needed to desired consistency.
- Once the mixture reaches a thick and caramel-like texture, add the medjool date syrup and vanilla extract.
- Transfer the almond butter date caramel to a jar or airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
- Serve with apple slices or your favorite fruit for a delicious and healthy snack!