Pistachio Basil Pesto
This simple pistachio basil pesto is easy to make, and irresistibly delicious served up on chickpea or lentil pasta! The organic pistachio nut butter adds a rich, nutty flavour that pairs perfectly with the fresh basil and zesty lemon flavours.
Shop Pistachio Butter
If you have an herb garden that is overflowing with fresh basil – then it's time to try making this pistachio basil pesto! Instead of pine nuts, we're using organic pistachio butter for a subtle sweet and rich flavour. Nutritional yeast adds cheesy flavour to the recipe, without any dairy – making this recipe vegan as well.
Of course, no pesto is complete without fresh garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch sea salt. With these simple and healthy ingredients, you can blend up this delicious pistachio basil pesto in just 5 minutes!
Pistachio Health Benefits
1. Powerful Antioxidants - Two carotenoids - lutein and zeaxanthin are responsible for the green hue, along with chlorophyll.
2. Protein - With 6 g protein per 1 oz serving (or 2 tablespoons of pistachio butter), pistachios are an excellent source of plant-based protein.
3. Vitamins and Minerals - Pistachios are a great source of vitamin B6 (25% DV), thiamine (20% DV), and copper (20% DV). They also contain potassium, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
4. Healthy Fats - Pistachios contain 12 g of healthy unsaturated fats per serving including monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Read more about healthy fats here!
More Ways to Enjoy Pistachios
Here are some ideas to easily incorporate pistachios into your daily routine! Next time you need a satiating afternoon snack, a boost of protein and healthy fats in the morning, or an cozy and energizing drink... you know where to turn:
- Pistachio butter on toast (we love sweet potato toast!)
- Pistachio energy bites
- Pistachio matcha latté
- Pistachio butter with apple slices
- High protein green smoothie with pistachio butter
Pistachio Basil Pesto
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
¼ cup pistachio butter
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Add the basil leaves to a food processor, along with pistachio butter, sea salt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and nutritional yeast.
- Blend or pulse until a smooth paste is formed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and enjoy on pasta or as a veggie dip!
leave a comment