Our single-ingredient pistachio butter is the perfect way to incorporate delicious healthy fats into your diet. It’s smooth and creamy in texture; rich and nutty in flavor. Pistachios are packed with healthy fats, fiber and potassium, with both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
As well as being a delicious and healthy treat in its own right, pistachio butter is also a versatile ingredient and a great addition to a host of sweet and savory meals and snacks, to add flavor and a new twist to an old favorite. Here we give you a rundown of our favorite 9 pistachio butter uses, including some recipes using pistachio butter, and some fun ways to use your leftovers.
1. Pistachio Butter Dip
We thought we’d start with this one to ease you in, before we start talking about lots of ingredients and preparation methods. This is the easiest one on the list, simply because all you need is your jar of Nomz pistachio butter.
Create a healthy and delicious snack by dipping carrot sticks, celery or pretzels into your pistachio butter. You’ll find that the nutty, slightly sweet flavor of the butter complements the savoury crunch of the carrot, celery or pretzel. This works really well as a dip at a buffet or alternatively as a great way to use up leftover pistachio butter.
2. Pistachio Butter on Toast
Trust us, sometimes the simplest options really are the best. One of life’s simple pleasures is hot toast and there is a huge variety of sauces, jams, butters and spreads you can add to make every slice interesting. Try laying some pistachio butter on your hot toast nice and thick. That is all. You’re welcome! (Tip: this idea also translates really well as fillings for croissants or as a spread for sweet or savory crepes.)
3. Pistachio Butter Cookies
When it’s time for an indulgent treat, nothing beats a home-baked cookie. This recipe adds a pistachio twist to the cookie template which works beautifully with the orange zest, giving the final cookie a wonderfully zingy taste - and a striking look, with a slightly green hue.
- 100g butter
- ½ cup of pistachio butter
- Orange zest
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup ground pistachio
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cardamon
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
Method for pistachio butter cookies
- Melt the butter, before allowing it to cool to room temperature
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, cardamon and ground pistachio together
- Combine the melted butter with the pistachio butter, brown sugar and orange zest, and mix
- Add the egg and vanilla extract
- Mix for a further minute
- Add the two mixtures together slowly, stirring as you do so
- Put the mix into the refrigerator for half an hour
- Split the dough into palm-sized balls, then press into a cookie shape
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Bake on a tray for 10-12 minutes on the middle shelf
- Remove from the oven and after 5 minutes of cooling, they’re ready to serve!
4. Chocolate Pistachio Butter Mousse
This is a really simple but effective way to create a delicious dessert really quickly, while adding a pistachio-based twist to a chocolate mousse!
- 1 tsp Pistachio paste
- 3 eggs
- 3 kernels of chopped pistachios
- 100g of dark melted chocolate
- 2 tbsp of double cream
Method for chocolate pistachio butter mousse
- Separate the 3 egg yolks from the egg whites
- Mix the melted chocolate with the yolks
- Separately whisk the 3 egg whites and add the pistachio butter
- Combine the egg white mix with the chocolate mix to create the mousse
- Pour the mousse into glasses and refrigerate for 30 mins
- Add the cream and chopped pistachios as topping and return to the fridge for 2 hours
5. Pistachio Salad and Dressing
Here’s a more savoury option to offset some of the sweeter dishes on our list. This idea is perfect to accompany cook-outs or barbeques, or simply as a healthy side salad to sit alongside your family meals.
Ingredients for salad
- Leaves of your choice (we find rocket, spinach or lettuce work well)
- Cheese (cheddar or parmesan)
- Some chopped fresh fruit such as strawberries, grapes or pomegranate seeds
- Ground pistachio kernels
Ingredients for dressing
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of nomz pistachio butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for pistachio butter salad and dressing
- Toss the salad ingredients in a bowl and drizzle the dressing over the top to serve either as a salad on its own, or to accompany a main dish.
6. Pistachio Energy Balls
It’s easy to slip into the habit of snacking unhealthily throughout the day, but these energy balls are a great way to snack sensibly, and they’re delicious to boot. If you want an ultimate balanced and healthy, vegan pistachio treat, try our pistachio energy balls. If you have some butter leftovers and fancy trying something a bit different, try the recipe below. This is a really easy one to prepare too - we made these energy balls in less than 10 minutes.
- 1 cup of pistachio flour
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- ¼ of a cup of nomz pistachio butter
- ⅛ of a cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- ¼ of a tbsp of orange zest
- 1 tbsp of shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp of fresh orange juice
- A handful of crushed pistachio kernels
Method for pistachio energy balls
- Put all of the ingredients except the crushed pistachio kernels into a blender, and blend
- Roll small handfuls of the mixture into bite-sized balls
- Sprinkle the crushed pistachio kernels on top
Some Quick Bonus Pistachio Butter Ideas
We thought we’d include a few quick bonus ideas to show how easily you can add pistachio butter to an existing dish, to give it a bit of zing!
7. Mix into oatmeal
Add an extra dimension of flavor to your oats. A spoonful of pistachio butter over hot oats just before you eat them works just as well as mixing into your breakfast oats the night before.
8. Melt pistachio butter over ice cream
Try melted pistachio butter drizzled onto your ice cream for a healthier alternative to chocolate sauce. Simply warm in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds until melted, and pour it over your ice cream. The contrast of cold ice cream with the warm pistachio butter makes for a great combination as well.
9. Blend into a smoothie
Leftover pistachio butter makes a great savory addition to your daily smoothie. Add a dollop or two and blend with the rest of the ingredients to give a creamy texture and delicious flavor.
So there you have it - some of our favorite ways to use pistachio butter in delicious and creative recipes. Let us know if you have any other inventive ways of incorporating your nomz pistachio butter into your diet, and we’ll include your ideas in our next list of recipes.